Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sports Nut

Dear Posterity,

I love sports!!! Not just like, not really like but LOVE sports. I have loved sports for as long as I can remember. As a child I would spend hours playing various sports. I was a natural baseball player but basketball was my passion. I would play basketball everyday of the year including playing during the winter. I would shoot hoops in the snow with an ice covered basketball until my hands were purple and numb.

Basketball was my life and it was going to take my places. Unfortunately, I stopped growing at 5'6". Actually, I'm probably only 5'4" but I would never admit to that in person. It's amazing how 2 inches seem to make a difference. Even though I was short I never lost the love of the game. I still play regularly with friends and still think I am better than I probably am.

Watching sports has become a part of my routine. I watch sporting events weekly especially when my teams are playing. I love the Boston Red Sox, the Boston Celtics, the New England Patriots and UNC. A lot of people would call me a bandwagon fan but I grew up in the east and you either love Boston teams or New York teams. I love Boston and hate New York. It's who I am and who I'll always be. Sports rivalries bring out the best in competition and the worst in people.

I remember when playoff season my poor wife was introduced to this in an unbecoming way. The Patriots were playing in the 2nd round of the playoffs and Amanda wanted to go to eat and watch a movie. I decided to DVR the game and make my wife happy. She decided to go to a sandwich place and I agreed. I had never been so it wasn't until I read the menu that I realized that she took me to a New York place. I was pissed and she couldn't understand why. How dare she take me to eat at a New York eatery the night the Patriots were playing? Didn't she know that this could cost my team the victory? I don't even remember if I ate anything because of how upset I was.

Amanda didn't and still doesn't understand why I was upset. She doesn't understand the rivalry and the craziness that sports brings out in us. Perhaps it is a little crazy but that's how it is. Of course New England lost and it was all my fault. To this day I still blame her for them losing the game. If only she had chosen another place to eat but she didn't and saw another side of me that she didn't know existed.

The crazy sports fan side...

No comments:

Post a Comment