Saturday, February 12, 2011

The End of an Era

Dear Posterity,

This week the long time coach of the Utah Jazz, Jerry Sloan, resigned from his coaching position. He had been the head coach of the Utah Jazz for 23 years. I believe he was the longest professional tenured head coach in any of the major sports. I am not a Jazz fan but I thought it was worth mentioning. I was 4 years old when Coach Sloan became the head coach of the Utah Jazz. In an unstable work environment, he was a pillar that no one ever thought would leave.

It got me thinking about stability and strength and how you really have to love what you do to stick with it for so long. I get bored easily if I am not stretching myself or doing something different with my day. In a career setting I cannot imagine doing the same thing day after day after day for 23 years. That's why I like my job. Even though the principles of what I do everyday are the same, I am in a different environment with different situations everyday and I love it.

It takes a lot of passion and love to stick with something for 23 years. I guess that's why people struggle with marriage. If they are not willing to work at it and change themselves it can be the same thing day after day and people can get bored. Luckily, I have the lease boring wife in the world. I never know what I am going to get day to day or what I am going to come home to. It keep's life interesting.

Thank you Coach Sloan for teaching us that we can stick with something and excel at it for years if we only have a desire to do so...

1 comment: